A reminder that this is the last week of blogging. The week ends at 11:59 pm on R 12/5.
You should bring a shareable rough draft of your third Comparative Analysis to class on W 12/4.
Here are, belatedly, some topics for our discussion of X2. Feel free to comment.
- Which characters embody mutation as marginalization?
- Which can “pass”?
- How does the film in particular show mutation as a metaphor for gayness/queerness?
- How does Mystique (Rebecca Romijn) embody mutation as queerness?
- Brian Cox as William Stryker - how does he embody prejudice against mutants?
- How does the film show de-humanization of mutants?
- Logan (Wolverine/Hugh Jackman) - how doe he embody the dehumanization of mutants?
- How do mutant “powers” complicated the idea of mutants as marginalized? How does Magneto, in particular, (Ian McKellen) embody that complication? Which of the “good mutants” also embody this complication?